6 reasons you should be at LION's Chicago Summit
Yes, there's still time to register for the LION Summit in Chicago Sept. 29-Oct. 1, the only major, nationwide annual
Yes, there's still time to register for the LION Summit in Chicago Sept. 29-Oct. 1, the only major, nationwide annual gathering of local independent online news publishers.
Check out the complete schedule of sessions — more than 3 dozen presentations and conversations over 3 days, with even more speakers and discussion leaders being added soon.
And if it's not obvious why you should be there, here are just a few of the reasons:
1. You care about local news. As legacy media newsrooms face layoffs and buyouts and continue to cut back on local news coverage, a grassroots movement of local online news startups is cropping up across the country. You'll be immersed in their successes, challenges and opportunities.
2. You care about your community. If you believe the strength of local journalism correlates to the strength of democracy, you've got a vested interest in the business of independent online local news business.
3. You are thinking about launching your own local media organization. If this is the case, you really can't miss the LION Summit. It's like a local news startup boot camp. And the people you will meet — local news entrepreneurs who have been through all of the decisions and challenges you are about to experience — will end up being a resource long after the conference is over.
4. Your local news site needs more revenue. Well, if it doesn't, we'd like to know your secrets, so come to the LION Summit anyway, and share them with us. One of the most valuable parts of our Chicago conference for local online news publishers are the training, advice, tips and ideas on advertising and reader revenue that you can take home and implement immediately.
5. You need help navigating publishing tools and technology. This year's LION Summit will feature a ton of information about options for web CMS platforms, and presentations on whether and how small sites should participate in Facebook Instant Articles and Google AMP. Also, Mike Reilley of Google News Lab will be conducting training on Google Trends, MyMaps and Fusion Tables, Google Earth, Street View and more
6. Chicago! The LION Summit will be held on the campus of Columbia College, near some amazing restaurants, historic architecture, and just a few blocks from the Art Institute of Chicago. And the Lions are playing the Bears that Sunday at Soldier Field.
What are you waiting for? Register now!
Sign up for the weekly newsletter
Join the LION mailing list to get our weekly roundup of opportunities and resources for news entrepreneurs. View our most recent issues.
LION names two veteran journalists to lead Canada research and education efforts
Julie Sobowale will research the independent news ecosystem and Kelly-Anne Riess will update our resources for Canadian news publishers.
Three things LIONs love about their Sustainability Audits
And why you should apply for a holistic assessment of your news business.
Apply for the 2023 LION Publishers Local Journalism Awards
Winners will be celebrated with $55,000 in cash prizes during an in-person ceremony in Durham, North Carolina.