Title: LION News Revenue Coach
Benefits: Eligible for benefits.
If you want to work directly with independent news publishers to recruit, train and coach new employees in revenue-generating roles, we want to hear from you.
LION Publishers has evolved into an association serving aspiring and existing news entrepreneurs in the U.S. and Canada, and has helped launch a suite of programs including a boot camp for aspiring news founders, three month-long courses focused on specific skills news entrepreneurs need to develop, a joint effort to seed and support news startups in underserved communities, and, most recently, a program to help existing independent news entrepreneurs with coaching and capital.
Now we’re launching our latest effort: the LION News Revenue Fellowship. This program is focused exclusively on our existing LION member organizations who want to accelerate their revenue. This program, the largest we’ve ever run, will commit $1,000,000 over two years to selected LION member organizations who are ready to design or bolster their revenue strategy.
Through an application process, we will select a group of LION member organizations that will receive up to two years of funding to hire someone who will focus primarily on revenue generation with the goal of making their position self-sustaining at the end of the two years. For our first cohort, we will prioritize news businesses pursuing sustainability through a revenue strategy focused on readers, major donors or advertisers.
Our first step in launching this ambitious program is hiring a News Revenue Coach to advise on the development of The LION News Revenue Fellowship. The coach will also help select, train and coach News Revenue Fellows. As we train more fellows, we also want the News Revenue Coach to document best practices and serve as a resource to our broader LION membership.
Our ideal candidate can demonstrate the following behaviors:
- Passionate about helping independent news organizations achieving sustainability
- Recognizes there isn’t a one-size-fits-all approach to independent newsroom’s revenue strategies
- Empathetic and patient about understanding each newsrooms’ needs and excels at supporting people learning new skill sets and operating in new environments.
Our ideal candidate can demonstrate the following skills:
- Is financially literate and business minded, whether you’ve previously held a revenue-generating role or have worked directly with people in revenue-generating roles in newsrooms
- Balances journalistic ethics and business practices in helping newsrooms develop the best revenue-generating strategies
- Translates complex or vague concepts into easily understood teachings for others
- Thinks strategically about the best way to design an at-scale program to train and coach independent news employees in revenue-generating roles
This position is funded for two years, and depending on the success of this program, will become a permanent role on the LION team. You’ll report to deputy director Anika Anand. Submit your application using this form by March 21, 2021. If you have any questions, please email [email protected].
LION Publishers encourages applications from diverse backgrounds and underrepresented communities. We desire to build an organization and grow a membership that welcomes and encourages participation from all interested individuals.
LION Publishers to host 2024 Independent News Sustainability Summit in Chicago
The national event aims to gather 500 independent news publishers and their supporters for three days of learning and connection.
Introducing LION’s 2023-2024 board and executive leadership
Gunita Singh, from Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press, will be this year’s board chair.
Focusing on People Operations for Innovation and Training
How La Converse and École Converse prioritized hiring and onboarding processes to support their growth.