LION-GNI Startups Lab Senior Program Manager
Applications are now closed. Title: Startups Lab Senior Program Manager Status: Full-time; one-year grant-funded position with possibility for an extension
Applications are now closed.
Title: Startups Lab Senior Program Manager
Status: Full-time; one-year grant-funded position with possibility for an extension
Salary/Benefits: $70,000 and eligible for benefits
Job description: If you are passionate about helping create and support an independent local news ecosystem across the U.S. and Canada, we want to hear from you.
LION Publishers is a journalism association supporting independent local online news publishers, and recently, in partnership with the Google News Initiative, launched the GNI Startups Lab, a program that will help aspiring news entrepreneurs in the U.S. and Canada turn their news idea into reality and set their business on the path to sustainability.
The GNI Startups Lab is a year-long pilot and we are looking for the right person to help us design, manage and help grow the pilot into a long-term program.
Our four-person LION team is small, but mighty, and in less than a year, we’ve launched programs like the Expert Network, Skills Series and LION Lessons; collaborated with partners on Project Oasis; been nimble in responding to our members’ needs with this webinar on managing a news business amid COVID-19, and examples of how to respond to the Black Lives Matter demonstrations; and doubled our membership while also creating a new membership tier for aspiring entrepreneurs.
Now we need someone to help us create new LION members, particularly in communities considered news deserts and/or for communities that are typically underrepresented in their local media.
Here’s some of the work we’d love your help with:
- Assist with logistics and funder management for Boot Camp
- Help design GNI Startup Lab phase two structure and programming and ensure they line up with other existing LION work, including Project Oasis
- Manage existing phase-two related programs, including Skills Series and Expert Network
- Help design GNI Startup Lab phase two application, review process and announcement
- Help select GNI phase two participants
- Prepare regular reports and retrospective reports on Startup Boot Camp pilot, including recommendations for future Boot Camp
- Work with membership/communications manager to develop plan to recruit new LION members
You should also be prepared to work for an organization that’s:
- Scrappy and operates leanly
- In the process of building a strategic plan and still has many unknowns (read: possibilities!) on the horizon
- A small distributed team that relies on digital communication and (hopefully in the near future) occasional in-person meetings to communicate and collaborate with each other
This is a grant-funded position and you’ll report to programming director Anika Anand.
Here’s more on how to apply:
If you choose to apply, and are chosen to be interviewed, be prepared to talk about your mid-term and long-term career goals and how LION can help support you in achieving them; how you hope to grow this role; and what you, specifically, can contribute to the GNI Startups Lab program.
We ask that you provide:
- Your resume
- Any online links that show your work (a Twitter profile, a portfolio page, etc.)
And answers to the following questions:
- Why are you the best candidate for this role? What sets you apart?
- What would success for the GNI Startups Lab look like a year from now?
- What are your career ambitions and how can LION help you achieve those goals?
- Tell us about a successful program you ran or worked on. How did you measure its success? What made it succeed?
- Tell us about a failed program you ran or worked on. What about it failed? Why do you think it failed?
If you have any questions, please email Anika Anand at [email protected]
LION Publishers encourages applications from diverse backgrounds and underrepresented communities. We desire to build an organization and grow a membership that welcomes and encourages participation from all interested individuals.
FAQ: Here’s how to renew your annual LION membership
Please follow the below instructions to renew your annual LION membership if you or your organization are a current member.
Cost of LION membership increases for the first time
Our updated pricing and tier structure better reflects the evolution of LION’s membership program.
Meet the Winners of the 2021 LION Publishers Local Journalism Awards
The LION Local Journalism Awards celebrate sustainable businesses and journalistic excellence in independent online news.