LION Publishers opens Board of Directors nominations
Local Independent Online News Publishers — a national nonprofit dedicated to helping local journalism entrepreneurs — is growing, changing and
Local Independent Online News Publishers — a national nonprofit dedicated to helping local journalism entrepreneurs — is growing, changing and more committed than ever to helping build a robust local media ecosystem across our country. Now that we’ve received a $1 million grant from the Knight Foundation, hired a new executive director, and brought aboard our first-ever revenue and operations director and programming director, we’re looking to bring on four new board members to help advise on LION’s exciting next steps and help future news publishers.
Interested? We’re inviting you to nominate yourself or others by midnight Tuesday, September 24 using this form, also embedded at the bottom of this page.
Here’s who we’re looking for, and what you’d need to be committed to helping us with:
Who you are:
- You care deeply about supporting more entrepreneurial efforts in local journalism across the country
- You are an existing or former local news publisher or have worked alongside local news publishers to help support their mission
- You can see the big picture and want to help develop strategic policy to help the organization achieve its mission
- You work well with others and show respect for the ideas and views of fellow board members and staff
How you’d help LION:
- Commit to a three-year board seat term
- Commit to attending one in-person board meeting each year
- Commit to joining monthly virtual board calls
- Offer your expertise, networks and resources to help support LION’s staff and mission
Some other things to know:
- You don’t need to be a LION member to be on our board.
- You may nominate yourself.
- You may submit more than one nomination using one form per nomination.
- Virtual interviews for selected candidates will be held the first week of October.
- Attendance of future Board Members at the LION Summit is encouraged but not required.
- Prior board experience is not required, but is a plus
Official LION board resources:
- LION’s current bylaws
- LION’s current board of directors
- LION board responsibilities
- LION individual board member duties and responsibilities
If you have questions, you may get in touch with our board vice chair Kim Clark, who is chairing the nominating committee: [email protected]. Have questions about LION’s big picture vision? Get in touch with Executive Director Chris Krewson at [email protected]
Thanks for your interest and we look forward to hearing from you soon!
Photo by Flickr user Rajan Manickavasagam; used under a Creative Commons license.
Sign up for the weekly newsletter
Join the LION mailing list to get our weekly roundup of opportunities and resources for news entrepreneurs. View our most recent issues.
LION names two veteran journalists to lead Canada research and education efforts
Julie Sobowale will research the independent news ecosystem and Kelly-Anne Riess will update our resources for Canadian news publishers.
Three things LIONs love about their Sustainability Audits
And why you should apply for a holistic assessment of your news business.
Apply for the 2023 LION Publishers Local Journalism Awards
Winners will be celebrated with $55,000 in cash prizes during an in-person ceremony in Durham, North Carolina.