The mission of LION Publishers is to foster the viability and excellence of locally focused independent online news organizations and cultivate their connections to their communities through education and action.
We share a passion for quality journalism and a determination to focus our energies on the health of our online publications as businesses, whether for profit or nonprofit.
We approach our tasks with an entrepreneurial spirit and a belief that individually and collectively we are setting the pace for a new era of local news publishing.
We are dedicated to championing the local online news industry, in the firm belief that independent publishers are establishing the template for successful local digital news organizations – just as independent publishers did for print newspapers in the 19th century.
We declare that local independent online news publishers can best ensure that local communities are served by quality professional reporting.
We are committed to strong local independent journalism, whether in small towns or big cities, creating stories that serve their residents and build a sense of place, and shining an informative light that allows citizens to make wise decisions.The Internet is worldwide, but every neighborhood’s story is individual.
Our committment to maintaining a safe, respectful, productive, inclusive, welcoming and harassment-free experience for everyone is expressed in our Code of Conduct.
Our strategic goals
- To identify and implement successful strategies for maintaining and expanding the sustainability, readership and community impact of our members’ organizations
- To pool knowledge and resources, promote collaboration, and leverage economic opportunities as a group
- To lead technological and operational innovation to advance efficiency and quality in our industry
- To uphold high professional standards, identify best practices and support members through education, and recognize excellence in local online reporting
- To advance the case for strong local independent online journalism and represent membership interests in the public sphere
- To create and develop a stable, financially sustainable organization that serves member publishers, their staffs, local communities and the broader industry