The mission of LION Publishers is to foster the viability and excellence of locally focused independent online news organizations and cultivate their connections to their communities through education and action.
We believe in…
- Independently owned media: We believe that independent media is the most promising pathway for the long-term sustainability of the news ecosystem. Independent ownership and editorial control can ensure that more voices in a community are heard, that more original journalism is being produced, that a news publisher is free from undue influence by corporate, religious or partisan interests. We commit to growing the independently owned local media ecosystem.
- Entrepreneurialism: We believe successful news entrepreneurs take calculated risks; can anticipate a changing landscape to grow their businesses and better serve their communities; and believe that experimentation is imperative to the survival of journalism. We commit to running LION Publishers with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Anti-racism: We acknowledge and condemn the ongoing legacy of racism in U.S. and Canadian-based newsrooms, and stand against business and editorial practices that oppress historically marginalized communities. We commit to anti-racism by routinely examining and bettering our own practices at LION as an association, and expect the same from our members.
- Inclusive and equitable representation: We believe communities are better served when their news is reported by and for that community. To do this, news businesses should be led by and/or staffed by people inclusive of diverse perspectives, backgrounds and experiences, who are representative of their communities. We commit to inclusive and equitable staffing policies and expect our members to do so as well. We further commit to fostering a staff, board and membership that is inclusive and representative of the populations of the countries we serve.
- Useful journalism: We believe successful independent news publishers create stories that serve their audiences; build a sense of place; and solve problems within their community, leading to a more informed and engaged society. We commit to creating and supporting a membership that produces useful journalism.
- Peer-learning: We believe communities, including the LION membership, are strongest when we recognize we’re in this together. We acknowledge that everybody has a natural curiosity and that participating in a community requires active listening and learning. We commit to fostering a community within our membership that encourages participation and acknowledges each member as both student and teacher.