- Know and support LION’s mission, values, goals, policies, programs, and services.
- Stay abreast of the organization’s developing trends.
- Serve in leadership positions or undertake special assignments willingly when asked.
- Avoid prejudiced judgments on the basis of information received from individuals.
- Urge those with grievances to follow established policies and procedures.
- Suggest nominees for the Board.
- Speak on behalf of the organization only when asked to do so by the Board Chair
- Bring a sense of humor to the Board’s deliberations.
- Prepare for and participate in Board and committee meetings, and other organization activities.
- Support the majority decision of the Board.
- Maintain confidentiality of the Board’s regular meetings and executive sessions.
- Suggest agenda items periodically for Board and committee meetings to ensure that significant policy related matters are addressed.
- Disclose any possible conflicts to the Board Chair in a timely fashion.
- Be independent and objective. Form decisions based on a sense of fairness and personal integrity.
- Never accept or offer favors or gifts from or to anyone who does business with the organization.
- Ensure fiduciary responsibilities of the Board are responsibly met.
- Faithfully read and understand the organization’s financial statements and otherwise help the Board fulfill its fiduciary responsibility.
- Give an annual, personal, cash gift according to personal means.
- Assist resource development by supporting fund raising and sponsorships through personal influence with others.
26 more independent news businesses selected for LION-GNI sustainability program
These 26 independent publishers are seeking to enhance their organizational sustainability.
LION is looking for coaches with experience in financial management and operations
Coaches will work with independent news businesses to strengthen their systems for managing risk and uncertainty.
LION is hiring a Data Systems Associate
We’re looking for a full-time Data Systems Associate to support LION’s daily operations.