Learn with LION
About LION's Training Programs
For aspiring news entrepreneurs:
- Google News Initiative Startups Boot Camp: An eight-week program to help aspiring news entrepreneurs launch a news business.
- I want to help you launch a digital news site in eight weeks (July 12, 2021)
- Want to launch a news startup? Apply for our second annual GNO Startups Boot Camp (June 21, 2021)
- Our 24 boot camp graduates have big ambitions - here's how you can help (Dec. 17, 2021)
Tiny News Collective: In partnership with News Catalyst, TNC provides the tools, resources and commonwealth of knowledge to help people build sustainable news organizations that reflect and serve their communities.
- Meet the first cohort of the Tiny News Collective (July 19, 2020)
- Ready to launch your own independent news business? The Tiny News Collective can help. (Mar. 23, 2020)
For independent news publishers:
- Google News Initiative Startups Lab: A six-month program to help a cohort of publishers get on the path to sustainability.
Announcing the GNI Startups Lab: Helping independent digital news publishers work toward sustainability (Dec. 17, 2020)
- Ten news businesses we’re supporting on the path to sustainability with our GNI Startups Lab (Mar. 30, 2021)
News Revenue Fellowship: Supported by the Facebook Journalism Project, we've made a commitment of $1 million over two years to selected LION member organizations who are ready to design or bolster their revenue strategy.
“The LION/GNI bootcamp has been pivotal to the development of my media startup and my growth as a founder. The instruction is enlightening; the coaching is propelling; the access to resources, generous; and the community is both inspiring and supportive. My company is better because of this boot camp—and so am I.”
“I have never been around such a devoted and visionary group of writers and reporters. I have been pushed to embrace my own vision and passions in a way that I expect will propel me forward with strength and clarity.”
“This bootcamp, its community, resources and guidance has given me the validation and confidence that what I’m attempting to do is possible, it’s valuable and I’m absolutely the one to be doing it.”
“The GNI/LION bootcamp was the most enriching journalism training program I've participated in...I have tools, a roadmap and the kind of entrepreneurial thinking to know which steps to even take and when to take them, as I work to get my local news startup off the ground."
GNI Startups Playbook: The goal of this playbook is to demystify the process of launching a digital news startup, and to help you build a business that’s both financially viable and journalistically impactful. With chapters on everything from building an MVP to important analytics, this is a must read for any early stage or aspiring news entrepreneur.
Project Oasis Report and Database: Project Oasis seeks to map and showcase the growing number of locally focused digital news publications in the U.S. and Canada. The report highlights information about the choices local independent news organizations are making on their paths to sustainability.