Learn with LION
OPEN PROGRAM APPLICATIONS
Applications for the LION Sustainability Audits and Funding program are open now. Apply by May 30, 2023 to participate in the June-August cycle.
About LION's Training Programs
Sustainability Audits: A detailed assessment of your news business, with expert recommendations and resources to help enhance your organization’s sustainability. The Sustainability Audit is most beneficial for news publishers that have been operating for at least six months.
News Entrepreneur Community: Join our vibrant Slack community of news publishers and aspiring entrepreneurs to ask questions and participate in conversations about the independent local news industry and what it takes to grow and sustain a news business. While some channels are members-only, others are open to anyone interested in news entrepreneurship.
News Entrepreneur Academy: A learning hub with practical training, resources and case studies to help news publishers navigate common challenges in launching, growing and sustaining a thriving news business. The NEA is accessible to LION members only.
GNI Startups Playbook: Created by LION and the Google News Initiative, the Playbook demystifies the process of launching a news startup, and helps founders build a business that’s operationally resilient, financially viable and journalistically impactful. This comprehensive must-read is broken into six chapters and offers four starter guides on specific topics that you’ll need to consider once your product is launched.
News Founder Challenge: If you’re feeling intimidated by the Playbook and want a simplified primer to get started, try this six-week, self-guided course to help you put your news business idea to the test. We’ll send you one email each week with actionable advice from the Playbook and a challenge to complete by the following week. Once you complete all six challenges, you can sign up for a one-on-one consulting session with LION to discuss your idea and a plan for next steps.
LION Tools and Services Directory: LION regularly hears from its members that it's helpful to know what tools and services they might use to build, manage and grow their news businesses. While LION does not endorse any particular tools or services, we have compiled ones we've heard of or that members have told us they like across various categories of business.
Project Oasis Report and Database: Project Oasis seeks to map and showcase the growing number of locally focused digital news publications in the U.S. and Canada. The report highlights information about the choices local independent news organizations are making on their paths to sustainability.
News Guest: This podcast offers practical advice on how to build a stronger, more sustainable news business.
Weekly tip sheet for news entrepreneurs
Join the LION mailing list to get our weekly roundup of opportunities and resources for news entrepreneurs delivered to your inbox. View our most recent issues.
“The LION/GNI bootcamp has been pivotal to the development of my media startup and my growth as a founder. The instruction is enlightening; the coaching is propelling; the access to resources, generous; and the community is both inspiring and supportive. My company is better because of this boot camp—and so am I.”
“I have never been around such a devoted and visionary group of writers and reporters. I have been pushed to embrace my own vision and passions in a way that I expect will propel me forward with strength and clarity.”
As a news founder without a journalism or communications background, the News Founder Challenge took me through the core of every milestone necessary to design a solid news project. From idea to execution, the examples given were current, the resources diverse and the feedback after the challenge was prompt and encouraging. This challenge will give you a clear yes or no, on moving forward with your idea for a news business.
“This bootcamp, its community, resources and guidance has given me the validation and confidence that what I’m attempting to do is possible, it’s valuable and I’m absolutely the one to be doing it.”
“The GNI/LION bootcamp was the most enriching journalism training program I've participated in...I have tools, a roadmap and the kind of entrepreneurial thinking to know which steps to even take and when to take them, as I work to get my local news startup off the ground."
- 2022 GNI Startups Labs: In partnership with GNI, LION offered three 8-week Labs featuring learning, coaching and funding related to financial and risk management, hiring and personnel management and revenue growth. Here are our takeaways from each Lab.
- Google News Initiative Startups Lab (2021): A six-month program for 10 news businesses featuring assessment, coaching and financial support to help publishers improve operational and financial sustainability. Read the latest update here.
- Google News Initiative Startup Boot Camp (2020–2022): An eight-week program to help aspiring entrepreneurs refine and launch their idea for a news startup. To date, 59 entrepreneurs have graduated from the Boot Camp to launch a news startup. Read about our alum from 2020, 2021 and 2022 (coming soon).
- LION-Meta Revenue Growth Fellowship (2021–2023): A two-year program for 12 news businesses that received funding to hire someone into a revenue role. LION also provides training and coaching to the cohort, with the ultimate goal of making each fellow’s position revenue-positive for their organization. Read the latest update here.
- Tiny News Collective: In partnership with News Catalyst, LION helped launch the first cohort of the Tiny News Collective with 6 publishers, providing tools, resources and training to help founders build sustainable news organizations that reflect and serve their communities. TNC is best-suited for aspiring news entrepreneurs in the process of launching their news businesses.