Join our News Entrepreneur Community on Slack
If you're an existing independent news publisher, aspiring news entrepreneur or are interested in learning more about entrepreneurial journalism, you can request to join our News Entrepreneur Community, a Slack peer-learning community designed to help people learn from each other by sharing resources, templates, advice, and lessons learned from their work.
LION members receive access to all the channels, including members-only channels, while non-LION members can access channels including #jobs-grants-fellowships, #startups-advice, and #equity-and-inclusion.
LION Publishers Community Guidelines
Below is a roundup of those for aspiring news entrepreneurs — and we’ve included a few other resources and opportunities offered by other organizations.
Check out our LION Publishers Community Guidelines for more details
All private channels and direct messages are considered “off the record,” meaning they shouldn’t be screenshotted, quoted, or shared publicly in any way without explicit permission from the person who posted it. The public channels can be considered “on the record” — but it’s still a good habit to ask before sharing anything outside this community.
The LION community is full of smart, generous people who go the extra mile to help answer questions and share expertise. We hope you’ll tap into that collective knowledge, as well as contribute to it, so that we can continue to build on the spirit of reciprocity that makes the LION community so strong.
We want to leave space for lively conversations, and even disagreements, in this group, but we expect those conversations to always remain respectful and civil. As moderators, we will not tolerate personal attacks, offensive language, or harassment of any kind, and we reserve the right to warn and/or remove anyone who doesn’t meet these standards. Not sure if something crosses the line? Please check with a moderator before posting it, or err on the side of caution and step away.
How to request an invite
Additional LION Resources
The News Entrepreneur Community is one of many ways news entrepreneurs can get advice and support through LION. Here are other resources we offer:
- The GNI Startups Playbook is a step-by-step guide to developing and launching your own news business, featuring the best advice from founders and experts who’ve done it before.
- The Project Oasis map is a sortable and searchable database of 700+ digital news startups in the U.S. and Canada, and the accompanying report is a detailed analysis of what we’ve learned about these startups, their revenue streams, and their progress toward sustainability.
- The Tiny News Collective is a collaboration with News Catalyst to provide the tools, training and knowledge that aspiring news founders need to launch and build sustainable organizations.
- The GNI Startups Lab is a six-month program that offers coaching and capital to founders whose news businesses are ready to next the next step on the path to sustainability. We also partner with Google News Initiative on the GNI Startups Boot Camp, which helps aspiring news founders get their business ideas off the ground.
- The LION News Revenue Fellowship is a new program supported by the Facebook Journalism Project that offers direct funding to LION members to help them hire revenue-generating roles.