Launch My News Startup
Congratulations! Deciding to start a news business is a big decision – and LION is here to help every step of the way.
Step 1: Test your idea
Read the GNI Startups Playbook and sign up for our News Founder Challenge, a six-part, self-guided newsletter course that helps aspiring founders put their news business idea to the test.
Step 2: Get connected
Whether you’ve just made the entrepreneurship leap or you’re still considering it, we invite you to join our News Entrepreneur Community on Slack to ask questions and listen in on conversations about the independent local news business.
Step 3: Grow your business
Once you decide to pursue your news business idea, LION membership can help connect you with coaching and funding opportunities, discounted media liability insurance, professional development courses, and a community of fellow news publishers in the U.S. and Canada. Learn more about LION membership and how to apply.
- The Tiny News Collective offers training, technology, professional services, and a peer-learning community for aspiring founders, especially those focused on local news in unserved or underserved communities.
- The Institute for Nonprofit News helps publishers launch and grow nonprofit news sites through its Startup Guide, Springboard program, and other resources.
- Indiegraf provides technology, research, sales and growth services, digital playbooks, capital and other tools to help publishers grow audience and revenue.
- The American Journalism Project is a venture philanthropy organization dedicated to nonprofit local news. Learn more about AJP’s funding opportunities.
- The Newmark Graduate School of Journalism offers a 100-day online certificate program for creative thinkers with a media business idea.
Sign up for the weekly newsletter
Join the LION mailing list to get our weekly roundup of opportunities and resources for news entrepreneurs. View our most recent issues.