Launch My News Startup
Congratulations! Deciding to start a news business is a big decision. LION provides two programs and a special membership tier for people like you who are getting started. Plus we've rounded up other resources from across the journalism industry you can take advantage of.
But nothing is more valuable than hearing from others who are currently running their own news organizations. Even if you aren't quite ready to make the leap yet, we highly recommend you join our News Entrepreneur Slack Community to ask questions and listen in on conversations about the independent local news business and what it takes to launch your own.
- Learn more about the Tiny News Collective, and keep an eye out for future application rounds.
- Check out the graduates of our inaugural 2020 Google News Initiative Startups Boot Camp, and apply for the 2021 U.S. program by August 8.
- Request to join our News Entrepreneurs Slack community.
- Apply to become a LION Aspiring Entrepreneur member, which includes benefits like members-only programming and a private community with other members. Aspiring Entrepreneur members pay a discounted $50 for a yearlong membership, and after that year, can apply to become a LION Member Organization.
- To learn how to launch a nonprofit news site, the Institute for Nonprofit News (INN) offers this Startup Guide and other useful resources. Also keep an eye out for applications for their Springboard program.
- To apply for a training program, check out Indiegraf, a network of journalist-entrepreneurs and independently-owned digital publishers sharing resources to serve their local communities sustainably, and sign up for their newsletter for more great resources.
- To read more tips on launching a local nonprofit news outlet, here’s another playbook produced by News Revenue Hub and Harvard Kennedy School's Shorenstein Center.
- To apply for a shorter three-day boot camp, the Asian American Journalists Association’s Catalyst program is for founders of color to learn how to fund and launch media products. Sign up for their newsletter for updates on future programs.
- To apply for 100-day online certificate program from The Newmark Graduate School of Journalism, check out their mostly asynchronous Entrepreneurial Journalism Creators Program.