Status: Full-time exempt (not eligible for overtime), with 90-day introductory period (see details below)
Reports to: Director of Research and Evaluation
Location: Remote within USA
Compensation: $75,000-$80,000, eligible for benefits (see details below)
If you are a passionate systems manager who delights in creative problem solving in pursuit of operational efficiencies, we want to talk with you about our Senior Manager of Technology role!
LION Publishers is a professional journalism association that serves more than 450 (and growing!) independent news publishers across the U.S. and Canada. Many of these organizations don’t have access to small business services, which is where we come in: We provide members with resources, training and support as they build and develop sustainable news businesses that serve their communities.
LION’s Senior Manager of Technology will succeed in their role by maintaining and improving LION’s central database in Salesforce and connected systems that allow LION staff, our members and our funders to manage and track their work, interact with membership benefits and glean insights about the independent news industry. They will work closely with the Director of Research and Evaluation to iterate and support LION’s internal systems, empowering the rest of the team to do their best work.
The Senior Manager of Technology will work closely with colleagues across the programming, finance and evaluation teams to help LION achieve its strategic goals focused on revenue generation, program engagement and measuring program outcomes.
Our team believes that relevant, accurate and culturally competent local news and information helps people fully engage in civic life, make more informed decisions and better understand the world around them. If you’re interested in helping us make this vision a reality and working in a space of optimism and growth, learn more about the job and how to apply below.
- Technical Systems Management (60% of Time)
- Owns Salesforce administration including creating new fields, objects, layouts and reports to support the work of the programming and finance teams
- Owns Titan administration to create forms and web portals that sync data directly to Salesforce
- Creates automations for repetitive processes
- Manages tech stack and systems, including quality assurance after website plugin updates and security updates
- Technical Systems Optimization (25% of Time)
- Leads discovery sessions across the organization to assess technology needs and develop system implementation or enhancement plans to address those needs
- Works with vendors, key stakeholders and staff to evaluate changes and additions to technical products and facilitate any changes
- Technical Systems Support (15% of Time)
- Creates and maintains a library of end user training materials for LION’s tech systems, conduct group and 1:1 user trainings
- Provides technical expertise and troubleshooting to staff and project teams, including running weekly tech and systems office hours
Other duties as assigned.
LION is an Equal Opportunity Employer
LION believes that a team with diversity of backgrounds and experiences will generate the most innovative ideas and ultimately do the best work in support of our mission. This is why we welcome contractors, vendors, staff and board members who contribute to a diverse, equitable and inclusive work environment. We understand diversity as multi-dimensional and intersectional, encompassing aspects of our identities including race and ethnicity, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, ability, class, geography, lived experiences and more. We welcome and encourage all qualified candidates to apply to opportunities at LION so that we build a team that reflects the diversity of independent news entrepreneurs we wish to serve.
We know there are great candidates who might not check all the boxes listed below or who possess important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
Skills and Qualifications for The Role
- Savvy database administrator: Is technologically savvy, experienced at administrating and iterating on database structure, and seeks to understand the why before jumping to the how. Strong preference for Salesforce administration experience.
- Self-motivated team contributor: Comfortable working autonomously on the full scope of a project, from design to implementation, pulling in relevant stakeholders for feedback at key milestones.
- Systems thinker: Must be good at quickly identifying problems or gaps and working collaboratively with the team to solve them with a systems-oriented approach.
- Detail-oriented problem solver: Can manage many tasks and details and is good at quickly understanding a problem and jumping in to help across the organization.
- User-focused solution design: Approaches solutions to technical and systems needs with the end user in mind.
- Excellent communication skills: Able to translate technical problems using non-technical terms.
Skills and Expectations for Teamwork at LION
- Work in a way that upholds and reflects our organizational values: Being data-informed, equitable and inclusive, people-centered, systems thinkers, transparent and iterative.
- Use digital tools and platforms to stay organized, communicate transparently, and collaborate with team members remotely.
- Collaborate strategically with others, clearly defining processes for decision making.
- Give and receive constructive feedback to help the team produce its best work.
- Celebrate our wins and learning moments.
- Take on an experimental mindset and demonstrate flexibility to iterate on our work, systems, and processes.
- Be willing and able to ask for help when needed, and demonstrate an ability to learn and grow in the role.
Physical Requirements and Environmental Conditions
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position, at a desk or similar, 90% of the time. Time spent in a stationary location includes operating a computer and relevant peripherals and communicating via phone.
- Available to travel for staff retreats 1-2 times per year (approx. 2 days per retreat)
- Available to travel for annual LION member event annually (approx. 3 days)
Local Independent Online News (LION) Publishers is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit professional journalism association for independent news publishers. While most of our 400+ members across the U.S. and Canada run local news businesses, we also have members who serve larger regions and specific identity-based communities across geographies. LION provides teaching, resources and community to independent news entrepreneurs as they build and develop sustainable businesses. One of our core values is being people-centered, and here are some ways we build that culture for our staff.
90 Day Introductory Period
The first 90 days of employment is an introductory period, during which the new hire has clear goals, criteria for successful work product, and regular feedback from their manager. As a result of the new hire’s 90 day self-reflection and manager’s assessment, the two will discuss whether the new hire will stay on with LION and whether it will be in the role as originally scoped.
- Medical PPO, Vision & Dental fully paid by employer; 50% paid for dependents
- Short-term disability, long-term disability, life, and worker’s compensation insurance paid by employer
- Flexible Spending Account and Dependent Care HSA
- Paid Time Off (including sick days) is 20 days per year
- Paid holidays (including week of July 4 and Christmas Eve through New Years Day) is 17 days in 2023
- Up to 12 weeks fully paid family/caregiver leave
- 401K with employer match up to 3.5%
- Flexible working hours
- No-meeting Fridays
- Annual professional development budget
- Monthly work-from-home stipend
- For new hires: Health insurance stipend until eligible for employer medical coverage to begin
- Eligible for year-end, surplus-dependent bonus
Submit your materials using this form by 11 p.m. Pacific time on Thursday May 18.
- Your resume
- Any online links that show your work (a Twitter profile, a portfolio page, etc.)
- Answers to the following questions:
- This position is the newest addition to LION’s mission support team! What part of LION’s Mission, Vision, and/ or Values are you most excited by? Why?
- Tell us about a time when you customized a database to better meet the needs of its end users. What was the problem you tried to solve? How did you approach discovery and implementation? What were the results?
- Tell us about a project that you designed and managed from start to finish. Who were the stakeholders involved? How did you approach collaboration/delegation to make sure the project could progress? What obstacles/roadblocks did you run into and how did you solve for them?
- LION Publishers has a commitment to building a diverse community that is inclusive and welcoming of all members, particularly those who identify as coming from an underserved community, including publishers who identify as Black, Indigenous, or as a person of color; LGBTQ+; or immigrant. How do you approach understanding the perspectives of and collaborating with colleagues from diverse backgrounds? Especially those who aren’t fluent in technology.
- Please share anything else you’d like us to know about your background, experience or skills that speaks to your ability to do this role.
If you have questions about this role, reach out to LION’s Director of Research & Evaluation ([email protected]) to learn more.
Meet the 36 winners of the 2023 LION Local Journalism Awards
Each winner received at least $1,300 to further boost their independent news business.
Introducing LION’s five-year strategic growth plan
Why we’re doubling down on measuring sustainability as our core offering.
What we’ve learned about the unique struggles and success of BIPOC news leaders, and how to better support them
Challenges include access to capital, lack of business experience and low capacity