Status: Independent Contractor
Point of Contact: Deputy Director
Location: Remote within USA
Engagement Type: Short-term contract, with variable working hours, from May 1–December 31, 2022
Compensation: $35,000 base paid in monthly installments, plus commissions: 10% on dollars raised to $150,000 goal, 20% on dollars raised above goal
About LION Publishers
Local Independent Online News (LION) Publishers is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit professional journalism association for independent news publishers. While most of our 400+ members across the U.S. and Canada run local news businesses, we also have members who serve larger regions and specific identity-based communities across geographies. LION provides teaching, resources and community to independent news entrepreneurs as they build and develop sustainable businesses. One of our core values is being people-centered, and here are some ways we build that culture for our staff.
We’re looking for an entrepreneurial sales manager to connect companies, organizations and educational institutions to our membership through advertising and sponsorships. Your project goal would be to earn at least $150,000 by selling against our existing inventory, our annual Awards program and in-person event, newsletter, website and other content. You’ll be primarily responsible for connecting and negotiating sponsorship deals with existing and prospective sponsors who offer products, services and other opportunities for journalism professionals and small business owners.
Key Deliverables + Milestones
- Build relationships with existing sponsors
- Identify, track and report out on status of prospective sponsors
- Collaborate with LION’s deputy director and communications manager on designing and iterating on inventory that meets sponsors’ needs
- Negotiate sponsorship agreements
- Receive approval of agreements from LION’s deputy director and communications manager
- Finalize contracts with sponsor and make introductions to LION’s team, who will execute on the deliverables
- Have at least 20 documented prospects in the sales pipeline by July 15, 2022 (Within first 90 days of position)
- Sell majority of LION Awards/Summit inventory by October 15, 2022
- Invoice for at least $150,000 in sponsorship dollars by December 31, 2022
LION is an Equal Opportunity Partner
LION is committed to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace and is proud to be an equal opportunity partner. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people, people of different levels of physical ability, and anyone with relevant skills and qualifications.
We know there are great candidates who might not check all the boxes listed below or who possess important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
Skills and Qualifications for the Project
- A deep listener who can absorb information about LION and its offerings and translate that to clear and accurate sales pitches to prospective sponsors
- Demonstrates a high-level of organization and clear communication with LION staff about inventory, pipeline and sponsor negotiations
- Creative, nimble and flexible in designing sponsorship opportunities that best serve clients while maintaining a standard of trust with LION’s members and community
- Demonstrates a respectful while dogged sales approach with a clear determination and persistence to hitting revenue goals
Skills and Expectations for Collaboration with the LION Team
- Work in a way that upholds and reflects our organizational values: Being data-informed, equitable and inclusive, people-centered, systems thinkers, transparent and iterative
- Use digital tools and platforms to stay organized, communicate transparently, and collaborate with team members remotely
- Collaborate strategically with others, clearly defining processes for decision making
- Give and receive constructive feedback to help the team produce its best work
- Celebrate our wins and learning moments
- Take on an experimental mindset and demonstrate flexibility to iterate on our work, systems, and processes
- Be willing and able to ask for help when needed, and demonstrate an ability to learn and grow
Submit your materials using this form.
- Your resume
- Any online links that show your work (a Twitter profile, a portfolio page, etc.)
- Answers to the following questions:
- Why are you interested in this project?
- Based on what you’ve read about LION Publishers, what types of businesses, groups or organizations would make for good sponsors?
- How might you pitch LION’s unique value proposition to one of the above prospective sponsors? Briefly describe the sponsor and your pitch.
- What tools/services are you most comfortable with when communicating remotely with a team and pitching/negotiating with prospective clients?
- What questions would you ask the LION team before meeting with your first prospective sponsor?
If you have questions about this role, reach out to Anika Anand to learn more.
Questions About The 2024 LION Sustainability Awards? Get Answers Here!
Welcome to the FAQ guide for the 2024 LION Sustainability Awards!
Buy an early bird ticket for the 2024 Independent News Sustainability Summit in Chicago
Members who purchase an early bird ticket will be entered to win a raffle for a free hotel room upgrade.
Become a LION community ambassador to help connect and support independent news publishers
Community ambassadors will facilitate connections and community-building with fellow LION members.