Want to launch a news startup? Here are some ways to get started.
LION Publishers (LION):
- Sign up for our weekly email for news entrepreneurs.
- Request to join our News Entrepreneurs Slack community.
- Apply to become a LION aspiring entrepreneur member, which includes benefits like members-only programming and a private community with other independent news entrepreneur members. Aspiring entrepreneur members only pay $50 for a yearlong membership, and after that year, can apply to become a LION member.
- Learn more about our Tiny News Collective initiative.
- Check out the graduates of our inaugural 2020 Google News Initiative Startups Boot Camp, and keep an eye out for 2021 applications.
Playbooks and Resources
- Read the INN Startup Guide
- Sign up for Indiegraf’s weekly newsletter.
- Playbook for Starting a Local Nonprofit News Outlet by News Revenue Hub/Shorenstein Center
- Sign up for INN Info Sessions for Startups
- Keep an eye out for applications for their Springboard program
- Keep an eye out for AAJA’s Catalyst program applications.
- Apply to the next cycle of the Entrepreneurial Journalism Creators Program
38 LION members selected for Sustainability Audit’s 2023 September-November cycle
Publishers will receive expert guidance and $20,000
Adding more staff isn’t the only way to lessen your workload
Four insights we took away from analyzing 100 Sustainability Audits from independent news businesses.
Meet LION’s Fall 2023 Community Ambassadors
These independent news leaders will connect with other independent publishers across the U.S.